Saturday, April 21, 2012

Nymphing Works

It's not exactly a secret that nymphing works, but since its been so long since I've done any I have to say that I was a bit surprised at the results.  For me it gets left  in the forgotten bin of fishing techniques.  Too many years of nymphing in AK for trout and for steelhead have left me numb to its effectiveness.  I've moved onto other challenges in the fly fishing world.  It lacks the visual confirmation of a surface feeding fish and I have to say I am a sucker for that.  The other day when nothing was going on on top I was just sitting there and the little voice in my head said this would be great water to nymph.  So I broke out the bead heads and 5 casts or so later it was game on.  Very satisfied after landing this pig, I switched back to a dry fly and awaited the spinner fall.  Its a good reminder that I should try it more often, but just can't get myself to commit to it.  Searching for noses has its rewards also. 

No comments:

Post a Comment