Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A Little Unsettling

This weather evokes deep foreboding in my bones.  While a part of me has greatly enjoyed the snow deficient winter and the very mild spring here it is mid to late April and the Hendrickson's are gone, done finished, not to be seen for another year.  While there is variability in any hatch they typically are just getting started.  the fact that they are completely done scares part of me since we are in uncharted territory.  There is a dark side to all of this warm weather and its not just the tick warnings.  A buddy saw a couple of green drakes last weekend on the Delaware.  He has been fishing that system for 20 years and has never before seen one before May 26.  Another friend mentioned that there are reports of sulphers in Pennsylvania.  It seems as if the entire clock of mother nature is out of whack.  While we humans typically are pretty removed from mother nature those of us who pursue fly fishing especially dry fly fishing usually set out calendars to our favorite hatches.  Not this year.  The scary fact is no one really knows what it means or what the implications may be down the road or if there even will be any implications.  So while all of this leaves me just a little unsettled I think I will try my best to enjoy the opportunities that it may bring and go fishing as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment