Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Getting Ready

Yeah I know I have spring fever like most everyone else. It’s hard not to given the mild winter and now the high late winter temps. Since the fall I have only swung flies for steelhead, and there is nothing wrong with that, but in my mature years I have come to appreciate the benefits of variety. Some of our so called warm water denizens require a little checking up on. Somebody has to go and see if they indeed have survived another winter and if they are in their usual haunts. So my tying bench has been whispering my name lately to tie up some early season trout flies and carp flies in order to be ready. Given my overfull fly boxes this is somewhat of a joke, but one doesn’t ever seem to have enough flies because you just never know what one might need out there on the water.

The top fly is nothing fancy just an effective black bunny tied with lead eyes so it rides upside down.  One can catch just about anything on this pattern.


 This is one of my crayfish patterns that also seems to catch just about anything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment