Fast forward a few years and I've been using these LLBean boots with the rubber bottoms and metal spikes. They're ok on rocks but nothing great. As someone who is always trying to improve my gear I thought I could replicate the Patagonia idea while saving some bucks. I did some searching on the web. I found a couple of folks gluing and screwing the bars in the bottoms of the boots. I saw that one guy mentioned using t-nuts and I said that makes sense as the bars will never come out.
I spent about $25 and a couple of hours on them. Here it is step by step.
Hack saw-electric makes it faster
drill and bits
screws 1/4-20 screws, I used 3/4 and 1" for my boots, yours might be different.
File to round edges of bars-I used a grinding wheel made this step fast
First step take out the linings on the boot.
Drill holes in sole and put in T-nut (see below). Make sure the holes will go in the boot and not into the side of the boot on the inside.
Once the bars were done the hardest part was lining everything up and getting the screws into the T-nuts. After they were all done I screwed them up and put the liners back in. At first I thought they might be uncomfortable due to the T-nuts, but they were not.